Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Promise Not to Tell - Book Review

Promise Not to Tell
By: Jennifer McMahon

Book Review

This is one of those books that you read the first couple of pages of and think about setting down. There's just not much in those first couple of pages that instantly grabs you ... especially if you have read the back of the book. Boom! Murder happened ... well, if you read the back of the book you knew it was going to and relatively quickly too. BUT ... I kept reading. Not because I was truly interested at this point but because it was a book I'd never even heard of before by an author that I wasn't familiar with.

I am so glad that I kept reading! After what I considered to be a nonstarter start of the book it really did pick up. With each new chapter another bit of the story came out. With each new chapter a new bit of what seemed to be paranormal evidence came to light. It truly was gripping. I read the first two chapters one day and the entire rest of the book the following evening. I simply couldn't put it down. And while there are some sexual overtures throughout the book that brought some questions to mind (part of the book is set in the 70s where there was a more relaxed view of sexuality and it shows in those sections of the book) they weren't to the point that it interrupted the story. Instead it lent a more real aspect to the entire book.

Even up to the very last two chapters where you're fairly certain that you know what is going to happen it keeps you guessing. While I wouldn't recommend this for a teenager or young reader ... murder, mystery, paranormal, sex ... I would recommend it for the average adult reader. There are parts of the book that I morally do not agree with but that my logical brain understands exist and simply add to the reality of the book.

If not for this book being an obvious work of fiction you could almost believe that it really was a true story. The plot twists will keep you coming back for more. 

You can purchase this book from Amazon here. No, I am not an affiliate of Amazon I just shop there a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment