Friday, October 28, 2016

Reflections

I've spent much of the past week reflecting on life, religion, and our plans for the future. Sometimes we change those plans, sometimes we just adapt a few bits of the plan to fit the larger picture, and sometimes we start from scratch. Life is full of wonders and beauty if only we open our eyes and our hearts to see it.

So, this week I am starting off with a small prayer that I found in a book called Seek Me with all Your Heart, written by Beth Wiseman. It's a fictional book telling a small part of an Amish family's journey. The following prayer is one that the main character starts her day off with even when she's feeling abandoned by God...


Good morning, Lord. ?You are ushering in another day,
untouched and freshly new. So here I come to ask You, God, if
You'll renew me too? Forgive the many errors that I made yesterday
and let me try again, dear God, to walk closer in Thy way.
But, Father, I am well aware I can't make it on my own, so take
my hand and hold it tight, for I can't walk alone.

This simple little prayer, no matter where it actually began, has touched my heart over the last week and I find myself seeking God's hand to help me walk down the streets of my life. I hope that in some small way it has touched you in some way as well.

Two pumpkins, one
with a breast cancer
ribbon.
Teal pumpkin,
represents an allergy-free
option for trick or
treating.
Over the weekend we spent much of our time reading together, watching Netflix, and playing outside. The weather here in Michigan is a bit chill at the moment now that Fall is in full swing. But we're enjoying every minute that we can get outside before we have frigid temperatures. I worked on several crochet decorations for Fall and Christmas, the campers actually got along for most of the weekend even when discussing their favorite video games and their different ways of approaching the challenges in said games, and Daddy got to relax. Poor Daddy has been feeling out of sorts for over a week now with a migraine that just won't stop. My reflection of the entire weekend is that when you have your family little else matters... Sick or well, as long as you have your loved ones cherish every moment.


Monday we began our regular five day school week. Book lessons and computer lessons were completed within just a few hours and that left time for the campers to do some of the things that they wanted to. YCJ finished another chapter book, Peanut colored several more pages in her favorite coloring book, and ECJ got to spend time in his room without his sisters "bothering" him. Daddy and I watched a NCIS marathon on Netflix while I worked on larger pot holders that fit Daddy's hands better than the original ones I made (original ones are the red ones, the new ones are the green ones).

Tuesday we didn't do lessons in favor of relaxing and watching Netflix together. We had catechism that evening so it makes for a really long day. We're not all back from catechism until after 8:30 PM!

So, Wednesday we did double lessons. This is not as hard as it sounds and the campers voted to do this so that they wouldn't have any lessons over the weekend. The day practically flew by and we were still done with book lessons in about three hours and our online lessons only took an hour. When they buckle down they can get a lot done. Considering that I still had half a crock pot full of sausage and sour kraut we made Wednesday night a leftover night. Which left my evening free for talking with Daddy, watching more NCIS on Netflix, and crocheting some Christmas ornaments.

An envelope for a letter to Santa Christmas ornament

Thursday we did our lessons in record time! The girls watched Magic School Bus The Human Body again. Not because I'd asked them to but because they actually enjoy watching it. YCJ not as much as Peanut, but any excuse for TV during the day is a good one for her. We don't have cable so we watch antenna TV most of the time or Netflix. The campers don't watch much TV at all. They each have their favorite shows and we make sure to remind them each week when their show is on so they don't get upset about missing it. Yes, if we didn't remind them that it was time they usually forget about it about half of the time.

This has been a challenging week to say the least. As I look back and reflect on it I find many things that upset me. Each of the campers pulled an attitude at least twice this week, they're not perfect and neither is our family. Someone, we haven't figured out who, set bread soaked in antifreeze next to our porch steps in an attempt to poison our dogs. Thankfully we're vigilant and neither dog even licked the bread. Things could have been very bad. And Daddy and I both quit smoking this week! So our attitudes weren't the best but I'm very proud of us for having quit again. Perhaps this time it'll stick.

I have so many things to be thankful for each and every day. Some days with the hustle and bustle of daily life, I forget that each day is a gift. But, each day I'm gifted with life, I wake up to a loving family, we have a roof over our head, and we're in relatively good health most of the time. Life is good and God is everywhere ... you just have to take the time to look.

Linking up this week with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for the Weekly Wrap Up

Find us on Facebook 


4 comments:

  1. Your blog name is intriguing to me because mine is Camp Homeschool. Looks like a fun week of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our previous blog was just Homeschool Campers, but I lost the password AND we don't travel all the time and camp... now we stay at home and camp for vacation only.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on beating your smoking habit! I wish you success in staying smoke-free!!!!

    ReplyDelete