Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Island of Lost Girls - Book Review

Island of Lost Girls
By - Jennifer McMahon

Book Review


I started reading this book with a little trepidation. I don't usually like books with children being missing ... speaks to a deep seated fear of mine. But, once I began reading this book I was quickly drawn into the story line. How did the missing girl from now have anything to do with the missing girl from the main character's childhood? Who was the mysterious Peter Rabbit who kidnapped the little girl right out of her mother's car in the middle of the day? Where was Rabbit Island? All these questions kept me reading the next chapter and the next until suddenly all was revealed and the book was finished.

There are plot twists and questions throughout this book and it will keep you guessing at what is coming next. Follow the twists and turns of a small town girl's childhood, watch as the newly kidnapped girl eats at the main character until she gets to the bottom of the mystery, and just when you think the book is finished be astounded by the secrets revealed from her childhood.

There's a couple of scenes that include mild sexual content and one in particular that will have your blood boiling in indignation for the victim. Neither are so explicit that I wouldn't allow my teenage son to read the book. But, perhaps ... since the book is so real to life ... it's not a book that I would hand him to read at the moment. He's well aware that our world is not all sunshine and rainbows and he knows of most of the terrible things that can happen to people when others prey on them. I just don't think that he's quite ready for some of the stark reality that this book reveals.

All in all this is a wonderful book and I will be reading it again. But, for now, I have so many more books to read on my reading list that it'll be more than a year before I return to it. Perhaps then I'll allow my son to read it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment