Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The Privilege of Youth Book Review

The Privilege of Youth
By: Dave Pelzer

Book Review

This is the third book that I've read by Dave Pelzer. The first was The Boy Called It and the second was The Lost Boy (follow the links to my reviews of both books). Of the three this book was the most dry and the least emotionally challenging. Of course it also covers a chunk of time that is relatively small and details exploits of youth that seem a bit radical (either that or I wasn't as wild a youth as I thought that I was lol).

It's a good read though. And taken with the other two books it goes chronologically through this young man's life from trauma to drama, from pain to love, and from isolation to inclusion. You can't help but pump a fist in the air as this young man gets stronger and stronger throughout his life and it's many challenges. 

It's a book I would not hesitate to read again and again, along with the two books that proceeded it. Although, due to some of the stunts he pulls in his youth, it IS a book that I might hesitate to hand my teenage son. Only because I cannot fathom allowing him to get these ideas of wild things to do because I handed him this book. In all other ways it's a perfectly good book for him to read, just not so much with all of his neurons not firing correctly and his choices to do reckless things to begin with. 

I really don't want to get too detailed with this book as it's specific to an age and time and each thing that happens will make you either gasp, laugh, or cringe. Check it out for yourself!

A Man Named Dave is the next book in this series and I do not own it so I will have to either purchase it or borrow it from the library. It is a book that I will make sure to read before the end of 2017 though.

No comments:

Post a Comment