Monday, September 18, 2017

Through the Campers Eyes

So, this year for the ihomeschool network's Not Back to School Blog Hop they're doing a Through the Eyes of a Student week ... I've decided that this year I'm going to interview each of my campers and figure out just what homeschooling means to them.

We'll start with Peanut - 

What do you like about homeschooling? It's fun! I get to learn a lot of stuff and it doesn't take FOREVER to do it.

What don't you like about homeschooling? That I have to sit still every day and learn something new ... sometimes it would be good just to learn the same thing because it would be easier.

Would you ever want to go to public school? NO! I like learning at home, it doesn't take all day, and as soon as we're done I have the rest of the day to play ... plus, they probably don't have good teachers like you, Mom.

If you could change one thing about homeschooling what would it be? That all of my friends were homeschooled too so that we could have more time to play together.

There you go, out of the mouth of a nine year old....

Now, for YCJ (Younger Cracker Jack, age 12) - 

What do you like about homeschooling? That it doesn't take all day to do it ... plus the lunches are better than public or private school. I get to eat what I want to eat.

What don't you like about homeschooling? That not everybody does it. That and English ... I HATE English!

Would you ever want to go back to public school? NO Way! I have enough drama dealing with my friends after they get out of school, I don't need drama all day long! Girls? They're drama! Might have been different if I was a boy. Plus, I don't get picked on at homeschool.

If you could change one thing about homeschooling what would it be? English! Can't we just skip it for the rest of the year? I know how to read and write! (LOL)

And, finally, ECJ (Elder Cracker Jack, age 15) - 

What do you like about homeschooling? I can get through it quickly ... I don't have to sit and listen to a teacher drone on and on about something that I already understand. I get to take my books and read the stuff and then do the work. Easy peasy!

What don't you like about homeschooling? There aren't any girls here, well, except for my sisters and they don't count. I could really use some girls to check out when I'm bored.

Would you ever want to go back to public school? Sure! There's girls in public school and I could get to know them. Plus, there's more people to hang out with other than the guys at the skate park. But, I wouldn't be going back to learn ... just to hang out.

If you could change one thing about the way we homeschool what would it be? Seriously? I want more people to hang out with. I know we belong to the homeschool group but I really want to do the co-op this year. If we can't afford it this year then we HAVE to do it next year!

Now, obviously, I can't change everything that the kids want us to change. BUT ... I can put the campers into the co-op possibly for spring semester. We can't swing the cost this fall but probably can this spring and we're planning on all three of them going next fall AND spring to co-op every Thursday. Next year will be ECJ's junior year of high school ... so even if we don't enroll the girls in co-op he WILL be enrolled for many of the reasons he listed. Yup, that socialization factor. He has lots of friends but he's really interested in meeting more girls his age and public school (even private school because we've tried it before) just isn't an option as far as we're concerned right now.

Find us on Facebook here

Linked up with ihomeschool network's Not Back to School Blog Hop



No comments:

Post a Comment