Friday, July 28, 2017

We're Really Taking a Break

So, Friday morning I woke up and just didn't want to do lessons. I just really didn't want to sit down with cranky kids in the muggy, humid weather and go through even half an hour worth of lessons. I looked at Daddy and said, "I'm really tempted to just call the rest of the summer off and take a real summer break this year ... but the campers won't finish their books if we do that." He just looked at me and shook his head, then responded, "Give them, and yourself, a break. They don't have to finish those books and if you really think that they do just have them finish them in September along with the unit studies that you already have planned. If it's a math book just start the next one when they finish the ones that they're currently doing. It'll all be review in the beginning anyways." Bless that man! So, I calmly called the rest of the summer off for break. I did the household chores, as did the campers, and Daddy went to work. After we'd finished the chores in the house the campers went outside to play while I played my computer game to try to reset my brain into relaxed mode. When Daddy got home from work he and I ran to the scrap yard and then went to pick up some movies to watch over the next few days and some spark plugs to give the car a tune up. After supper (bratwurst, mac and cheese, and broccoli with cheese sauce) we all watched America's Got Talent together before the campers went to bed. Not a bad start to the summer break.

Saturday ECJ helped Daddy put a tune up on the car ... we still need to buy a few other parts to finish what the car needs done. Daddy went to work for about an hour to do a project that needed done. I did a load of laundry and then played on my computer game. I also printed off some planning sheets for an ideal week and what it would look like (getting ready for September for myself ... can't help it lol) and the campers all played on their electronic devices because it was raining. At about 4 PM we all gathered in my room, with the good air conditioner, and turned on the first of several movies that we were going to watch together as a family. We watched Mad Families first (adult language and sexual innuendo so if you don't like your kids to see/hear that then I wouldn't recommend this movie), took a break for french toast for supper, and then watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After the movies the campers went to bed ... with the obligatory story for Peanut along with a battle of who could give the most kisses (me or her). Daddy and I spent the rest of our evening relaxing ... I dyed my hair and read while Daddy watched the news and the late shows.


On Sunday we went to mass and then relaxed until it was time to go to Grandma and Papa's house for a little while. ECJ opted to stay home instead of coming with us, which was fine. We did some visiting and then headed out scrapping again (our usual Sunday routine ... it's important we stick to it as Peanut has autism and shifting her routine can mess her up for a long time). We again stopped at three different parks while we were scrapping, I only took pictures at two, and got our usual frozen drinks. When we got home the girls headed inside while ECJ, Daddy, and I unloaded the scrap from the truck. The girls ended up watching movies in their room while ECJ played on his tablet and Daddy and I watched some TV. Supper was chili that we had made in the crock pot in the morning so that it was ready when we got home.

Monday Daddy got up and went to work for awhile, while ECJ took apart the scrap in the yard (which I helped a little with) and the girls played with the neighbor girl. When Daddy got home from work we loaded up the truck and then went to the scrap yard. He and I went scrapping directly after the scrap yard and left the campers to hang out on their own. ECJ made everyone a sandwich for supper and boy were they all happy when we brought home some McDonald's as a late supper/treat! We again didn't watch anything together as a family, choosing instead to watch separate shows in different rooms. Peanut read to me instead of the other way around for her bedtime story and we had another battle of the kisses. After the girls and ECJ were in bed for the night Daddy and I relaxed by watching the news and then went to bed ourselves.



So, Tuesday was a relaxing day for everyone except for Daddy. Daddy had to do some major painting at work and planned on getting it all done in one shot. The campers all woke up at their own pace ... and this meant (for this day anyways) that they were all up and eating breakfast by 11 AM. They're really enjoying this no lessons for the rest of the summer thing. I puttered in my container garden, played a little on the computer, updated this blog post, and then crocheted all while Daddy was at work. ECJ spent most of the day either doing chores or on his tablet engrossed in a game that he's really liking. The girls got dressed after breakfast and went outside to play with the neighbor girl again. When Daddy got home in the afternoon, we unloaded the truck and then he and I went to the next town over for some quick scrapping. When we got home I heated up leftover chili for supper and made some corn bread to go with it. The campers all hung out together while he and I watched a couple scary B rated movies that we'd picked up, I crocheted while watching the movies. In between the two movies we watched was bedtime for the girls so that meant story time, prayers, and kiss battles so that Peanut could get to sleep. After both scary movies were watched Daddy and I went to bed ourselves, at peace with the fact that all is well with our world this week.

Wednesday was a super busy day for Daddy and I. Grandma called at about 9 AM to tell us that her freezer had died in the night. So, Daddy took the day off of work and he, ECJ, and I took apart all of the scrap and then Daddy and I took it back to the scrap yard. The campers stayed at home while Daddy and I went to Grandma and Papa's house to see if we could help them get a new fridge home. But Auntie needed help moving some furniture to her house and around the house, her van also needed looked at, and Grandma and Papa were busy comparison shopping online to see where they'd find the best deal since they decided to replace all three major kitchen appliances together (fridge, stove, and dishwasher). After Daddy and I helped Auntie we went back by Grandma and Papa's house and then went and picked them up some supper. Daddy got told that he'd be needed the next day to help move around the new appliances and possibly to install the new dishwasher. He and I went scrapping and called to check on the campers, who were fine and had done laundry and YCJ even cooked her siblings pancakes for supper (those lessons I gave her really paid off). Daddy and I got home late, gave the campers their medicine, and then went to bed ourselves.
Four year old Peanut picking raspberries.
Eight year old Peanut picking raspberries.




Now, it's Thursday. Daddy and I woke up relatively early and drank our coffee together while waking up and getting ready for the day. Then I woke up the campers and Daddy headed off for work to finish painting. The campers and I got ready for a day with Noni by getting dressed and doing some chores around the house. Noni showed up around 10:30 AM and we headed to an apple orchard that has pick your own produce for a fun day of picking fruit and veggies and hanging out together. On the way there we stopped for a quick lunch on the go at McDonald's and ate in Noni's van. With temperatures in the high 70's - low 80's and only a chance of rain we had a really good time picking raspberries and choosing which veggies we wanted. We grabbed some ice cream as a treat and then went to the grocery store together to pick up a few things needed at home. (Can't have campers not having any milk and I really needed creamer for my coffee because we completely ran out this morning.) After Noni went home Daddy came home and took the evening off scrapping! So we all relaxed and hung out together quietly for the rest of the evening, enjoying the homemade nachos that I made for supper.

Posts you may have missed this week:
Mom Shaming

You can find us on Facebook here.

Linked up this week for the Weekly Wrap Up and Homeschool Highlights!

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for a summer break time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really needed it this year ... instead of our usual week off each month of the summer. I'm already much more relaxed and so are the campers.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are getting a real summer break. I think the moms need it more than the kids sometimes.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely the case here this year! I just wasn't feeling it this summer AT ALL lol

      Delete
  3. Hooray for a summer break, and for your husband's extremely wise advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're enjoying every minute of our break! And, yeah, he's pretty smart most of the time ;-)

      Delete