Monday, September 12, 2016

A Birthday Menu

It's been a super long time since I did a Menu Mondays post (since before I changed blogs to this one over a year ago, and of course I didn't blog for most of the past year). So, I decided that it was time to do one. I don't know if I'll do one every week or not but we'll see shall we?

So, this week is Peanut's birthday (8 years old!) and each person in this family picks what they want to eat on their birthday. Daddy even usually cooks on my birthday and makes whatever I want to eat. Since her birthday is Tuesday we're having an extra special birthday meal that day!

 I only include what we are having for dinner in these posts because we usually have the same things all week for breakfast (cereal, oatmeal, or eggs) and lunch (sandwiches, ramen noodles, or leftovers) and that would get pretty boring to read each day. I will try to include at least one of my recipes each week that I post these just so you can try it yourself if you like. I'll also state here that normally Sunday's are leftover days in our house but since I have pork chops sitting in my fridge just needing to be made Sunday this week is NOT leftovers.

Saturday : Chicken wraps and baby carrots
Sunday : Pork with portabella mushrooms and mushroom gravy over white rice
Monday : Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Tuesday : (Peanut's request) Steak with baked potatoes and corn ... Daddy and I will be eating portabella mushrooms with baked potatoes and corn since neither of us want to eat steak right now ... heart shaped brownies for desert instead of cake this year.
Wednesday : Polish sausage with sour kraut and mashed potatoes
Thursday : Poor man's "cabbage" soup with butter bread
Friday : Baked Talapia with butter noodles and green beans

Poor man's "cabbage" soup

Leave leftover polish sausage and sour kraut in crock pot ... add two cans of tomato juice (vegetable juice works just as well) and a can of mushrooms. Add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt all to taste. Put crock pot on keep warm setting and leave over night and through the next day. Everything is now wonderfully seasoned and you didn't need to worry about cooking for one whole day!! 

Daddy and I came up with this recipe many years ago when every penny had to be stretched two and three times to make sure that the two of us ate (we were young and in love but that didn't fill the belly). It's remained a family favorite throughout the past thirteen years and we make it at least once a month no matter what the weather outside is doing.


Typed up: 9-10-16

Linked with I'm an Organizing Junkie for Menu Plan Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment