Friday, September 30, 2016

Much to do

Every week I break this down into what we did almost each day. Well, before I get into that I wanted to do a little list about what each child is basically learning right now.

ECJ is plugging away at writing compositions and reports (which is one of his least favorite things to do, write a comic book = great ... write a report for me = frustration), Algebra which he's getting without any issues he's plugging away at his college level Intermediate Algebra and seeming to enjoy it. As for science we're working on the basics again for general Earth science with a splash of chemistry and robotics tossed in. And for history he's learning about Early American History again, no matter how many times we go over it history just isn't one of his strong suits and he doesn't retain it for very long. For civics, along with learning about the presidential elections by watching the news and asking questions, he watches CNN Student News each day just to catch up on what he misses from the regular news (which he finds hard to sit through due to the time it takes, welcome back ADHD tendencies).


YCJ and Peanut are both learning basically the same things, even though they're three grade levels apart! Sometimes it just works like that when using curriculum from the same company for both grades. In Language Arts we're reviewing all the sight words for spelling all the way from Pre-K up to whichever grade each girl is in and then they'll get their own spelling words. This means that YCJ will have a longer review period than Peanut. They're both working through their text books from Seton and covering punctuation right now as well as doing daily copy work from the Bible. YCJ is reading through the Magic Treehouse series and doing some worksheets that go along with each book that I found here. While Peanut is enjoying reviewing and learning from Teach Your Monster to Read, currently it's her favorite part of the day. Both girls are in the review stages of Math so they're doing each day's assignments with no issues. And for History both girls are also doing Early American History starting with the Revolutionary War ... we covered this in part last year as well but plan on delving much deeper into it this year and moving more slowly through the pioneer times. As for Science we're doing another week on the human body this week ... I'd determined that we hadn't quite gotten enough covered about it last week for me to be pleased.
Raichu Pokemon
for ECJ
Ornament

So, what did we do this week? Well, this past weekend we really didn't have anything planned. I crocheted and postponed finishing both girls shrug sweaters for them to wear to church with their pretty dresses.Instead I turned my hook back to Christmas gifts and gifts for friends and family because those little sweaters for the girls weren't exactly what I was looking for. I may still finish them but then again they may just sit there in my forgotten projects pile. ECJ caught up on the math he owed me and his Bible reading paragraphs. Both girls spent nearly every waking hour outside this weekend, the weather was much cooler and they are enjoying being able to run without sweating as much. They also discovered that Peanut's new tablet has mini videos they can access from some of their favorite cartoons, so when they were inside they were watching Sid the Science kid videos and My Little Pony.



Front
Back
Pumpkin Treat bag
Tree ornament

Monday was a drizzly, chilly, Fall day and so once our lessons were done during the morning we spent the rest of the day watching educational movies, playing with electronics, and working on individual hobbies as the fancy struck. I managed to finish a Christmas gift for ECJ over the weekend so I made three new Christmas decorations for the tree and a Halloween pumpkin treat sack (of which I will be making many more, but most likely not giving them out to the nieces and nephews until next year). I also worked on Christmas crochet ornaments this week.



On Tuesday Noni came out and I called off book lessons for the day and even the online lessons. The only learning I required was to watch The Magic School Bus: Human Body and Liberty Kids ... along with daily required reading. Each child has a different amount of time they're required to read for each day: ECJ reads for an hour, YCJ reads for half an hour, and Peanut practices reading for fifteen to twenty minutes each day. Noni and I took the campers for a walk down on the boardwalk here in town and through some small shops. We picked up all three campers Halloween costumes at a consignment shop and checked that item off of the list. We also saw some awesome sidewalk art while we were walking. A quick stop at the dollar store and grabbed a few movies from RedBox and we were back home sipping on some hot coffee or hot chocolate depending on age.

After Noni left I styled both girls hair with items that Noni had given to us when she showed up. And made sure that they were presentable for their first catechism class that began at 5 PM. I also double checked the beef roast and veggies in the crock pot, love that kitchen appliance since it allows us to have a hot meal ready for us after any type of busy day. I can tell that Tuesdays will now be a crock pot night as next week ECJ and I also have religion classes in the evening and we won't be home until after 7:30! Late night dinners mean late morning Wednesdays but that's fine with me. Go with the flow homeschool scheduling!


Wednesday and Thursday we finished our lessons before 11 AM!! So Wednesday we had a movie marathon with the kids. We watched Zootopia, Open Season : Scared Silly, and Paddington! All were great movies! Thursday we did a library run and we home before noon. I picked up several movies to watch next week as part of our History work, several more books about the body (really is going to take about three weeks total to cover what I want to cover, they'll go through it in more detail in middle school levels, and another book or two to read. Daddy built up my bed so we no longer are going to be sleeping on the floor which I LOVE ! And then the rest of the drizzly rainy day we spent watching more movies together as a family. A bunch of them were Goosebumps movies but one was about The Flintstones meets The Jetsons!

So, it's now Thursday night and I'm getting ready for bed. I hope that all of y'all had a great week! I'm also still working on more Christmas decorations, Fall/Halloween treat bags, and Christmas gifts in my crochet ... so, I may be up for an hour or two more while I crochet and relax.

And here's what we'er doing about ECJ's schooling.
And you can check out a day in our life here.

Linking up with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for the Weekly Wrap Up.
And on What's Making Your life Awesome

2 comments:

  1. What a great week! Algebra is going on in my home also. To finish school at 11am is a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we don't get to finish our work by 11AM but two days in a row was unheard of! I figured both days were cause for celebration as who knows when it'll happen again! It's a good thing ECJ and Daddy are good at Algebra because it wasn't one of my strong subjects (thank God for teacher editions lol)

      Delete