Friday, September 9, 2016

First Week Back!

OH MY! What a week we've had! The first week back to school always has some hick-ups but this year we had several that strained my brain and we'd only taken two weeks off between summer lessons and our new fall lessons! Of course, we're doing almost all new curriculum this year so that has something to do with it.

We started our week on the holiday weekend. A quick trip to the nearest cider mill for a lunch of cider and doughnuts put us all in a great mood. Before we left there we'd gone through an entire dozen doughnuts and half of that gallon of cider. No worries, I bought more doughnuts for desert for that night.

Then we made a trip over to our friends house (Learning Life with 3 Sons ) and got in some games as well as some quick lessons on how to handle a hedgehog! Isn't she just so cute?!?! I even held the little stinker for a few minutes before I freaked out. I enjoyed hanging out with my life long friend and the kids had a blast as well. 

And just look at that look on Peanut's face! That picture is worth a billion words and most of them "AWW!" 

After visiting there we spent the rest of the day outside riding bicycles and enjoying the summer weather while it's still around. I'm glad fall is on the horizon because it is my favorite time of the year, but summer is the best for swimming and biking.


After all of that fun weekend it was time to buckle down and get back to lessons. With ECJ being enrolled in public online virtual school this year (something we're still deciding if we like or not) it was a bumpy beginning. Our internet was down until Thursday afternoon and so he spent Thursday and Friday catching up on the assignments and standardized tests (*cringe*). He did some book work for me out of a college level Algebra book and reading from the texts we'd received in the mail from his new school at the beginning of the week. The more we're experiencing this new schooling idea the less we are actually enjoying it and will perhaps switch what he is doing as early as the end of next week. I've determined that we need to give it at least a solid regular school week to see if we should stick with it. Usually I'm a year by year type of person but right now it's week to week with this curriculum. I had my doubts before we started it and had thought that it would be fine. We shall see.


 Meanwhile the girls and I tackled their new curriculum. Watched several DVD's on space (the planets, the moon, solar system, etc.), a couple on legendary folk and tall tales, and a Spanish DVD. The didn't enjoy the Spanish DVD that I had picked up from the library. I am still sorting through what I'd like to do instead. We're all enjoying the Seton books that I ordered instead of A Beka this year. That's one switch that I think will stick to us. Watching educational DVD's with the dog and in a princess dress is Peanut's idea of doing school after the books are all done. 

Now, I'm sitting here Friday afternoon and am thankful that the week is finally over. The first week of the 2016-2017 school year is over. It's all easier from here. The girls and I will be in a routine within the next two weeks. ECJ will either be online with K-12 (*shudder*) or doing some other curriculum that I have lined up ... but not before we've given the first an appropriate try. 

Oops! Forgot to lesson plan for next week! Guess I know what I'll be doing after supper tonight! Hope all of you have a great weekend! Happy homeschooling!

Linked up with : Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for the weekly wrap up .





4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting beginning. I always half dread changes because I never know how we'll like them until we're in the middle. And I like a lot of prep and planning time, so switching up drives me crazy. We've done it before though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of planning too. I was ready for the curriculum switch for the girls but wasn't as prepared as I thought for my son. I've had to switch in the middle before and if I have to switch again this year I'm really glad that it's at the beginning of the year.

      Delete
  2. :D We have an apple pie making field trip planned a couple weeks from now! Love this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be going to a bigger cider mill with a pick your own section to it in a few weeks ourselves, which always ends with me making apple pies ... this year the campers will help! I think this is one of the best times of year!!!

      Delete